If you are a kayaking enthusiast you can not miss out on the chance to kayak in Namdalen. Experience amazing routes and thousands of islands in the archipelago.
If you are a kayaking enthusiast considering visiting Trøndelag you can not miss out on the chance to kayak in Namdalen. With amazing routes and thousands of islands in the archipelago of the Namdalen coast, this is an area which both experienced kayaker and beginners can enjoy. White sand beacher, open ocean, sheltered rivers and delicious local seafood are some of the things you can experience by kayak. You can also visit fishing villages such as Abelvær, Nordøyan and Sør-Gjæslingan.
Exploring the Namdalen Coast by Kayak
If you are new to kayaking, or want a guided tour, Explore Ytre Namdal and Vik Kajakk can take you into the archipelago for an adventure at sea. They also rent out kayaks for those who want to venture out on their own. Explore Ytre Namdal is locateed in the cosy fishing village of Abelvær.
Kayak rental at Jøa
Jøa is an island in Fosnes municipality, known especially as being the childhood home of Norwegian author Olav Duun. The island offers culture as well as wonderful cycling and kayaking routes. You can rent kayaks at Brakstad hamn. If you want to explore the archipelago over a couple of days, they also offer accommodation.
Kayaking routes in Mid-Namdalen
Together with Trøndelag County and Gjensidigestifelsten, the municipalities of Namsos, Namdalseid, Flatanger and Fosnes have mapped out and marked 15 kayaking routes. The routes vary in length and are availble for both new and experienced kayakers. Click the links to see pdf-editions of the routes.
- Løvøya 8,3 km (Flatanger)
- Barøya 4km (Flatanger)
- Kvaløysæter 3,7 km (Flatanger)
- Strøm/Glasøyfjorden 12,7 km (Flatanger)
- Glasøyværet/Villa 16,7 km (Flatanger)
- Brakstadsundet 11,8 km (Fosnes)
- Fosnesvågen 4,3 km (Fosnes)
- Jøa rundt 43,4 km (Fosnes)
- Lund/Fjæranger 15,1 km (Fosnes)
- Årgårdselva 5,4 km (Namdalseid)
- Tøttdal/Sundsøya/Skjærpøya 27,2 km (Namdalseid)
- Blikkengfjorden-Røyklibotnet 29 km (Namsos)
- Finnanger-Tømmerviksundet 11 km (Namsos)
- Kjølsøya rundt 8km (Namsos)
- Spillum-Kvarven-Yttergåsøya 29 km (Namsos)
- Fjalbotnet rundt 8 km (Namsos)
Kayaking by Leka – Norway’s Geological National Monument
In the municipality of Leka they have also mapped out and marked kayaking routes, follwoing the national Norwegian standard. Contact Visit Leka Visit Leka for more information.